- GPs across the country estimate that around 40%
of consultations can be conducted over the phone.
- Advocates say that telehealth technology was
extremely underutilised prior to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, and
doctors are now hoping that Medicare funding for virtual consultations will be
- Currently, Medicare item numbers for telehealth are temporarily in place for GPs, specialists and many other health professionals, allowing them to bill for phone consultations.The temporary Medicare arrangements that allow doctors to bill for telehealth are in place until 30th September, after which they are due to be reviewed.
- Most doctors are resorting to a mix of video and
voice calls to connect with patients where appropriate, in place of
- During the peak restrictions in Western
Australia, clinics reported that nearly 70% of their patients were being
- By the end of April, more than 5.4 million
telehealth consultations were conducted around the country.
- Dr. Harry Nespolon, president of RACGP stated
that the number of consultations that could be done appropriately via
telehealth facilities was approximately 40%.
- According to Dr. Nespolon, for those who need to
see their doctor face-to-face during the pandemic, general practices are still
safe places for patients to attend.
- Health & medical board officials regard
telemedicine as an efficient way of delivering healthcare in certain
situations, and the transition has meant more protection for patients, general
practices and staff, while requiring less personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Stay tuned for more industry updates!
About Medfuture: Spanning across Australia, New Zealand and the UK, Medfuture
is a multinational medical and healthcare recruitment agency that specialises
in the recruitment and placement of doctors, nurses and allied health
professionals, on both permanent and locum bases. Our team of well-trained
local and overseas professionals are fully equipped to assist medical and
healthcare practitioners in finding the most suitable jobs and guide them
towards the best possible career path. We also work with medical facilities by
assisting them in their recruitment drives and helping them to find the right
medical and healthcare professionals for their practice.